7 ways to use essential oils for cleaning around the home
Why use essential oils for cleaning?
You may have already experienced the health benefits of essential oils, used them in the kitchen when whipping up your favourite meals, or enjoyed their uplifting, relaxing, and soothing scents on a daily basis, but have you tried using essential oils for cleaning?
#1 - All purpose spray
- 15 drops each of Lavender and Lemon
- 10 drops each of Eucalyptus, Peppermint, and Wild Orange
- 30 drops On Guard®
- 15 drops each of Grapefruit and doTERRA On Guard
- Add all ingredients to 16-ounce spray bottle.
- Shake thoroughly.
#2 - Odor eliminator
This is a quick and easy way to freshen smelly areas.
- Grab doterra Citrus Bliss or Purify (or essential oil of your choice)
- Add 6 drops of oil to a dryer sheet and place the sheet in said smell area! Voila!
- Areas to target could be rubbish bins, clothes + bathroom drawers, closets, gym bags, etc.
#3 - Refrigerator and Microwave Cleaner
1 cup white vinegar
2 cups hot water
15 drops Lemon oil
- Combine the ingredients in glass spray bottle.
- Spray mixture inside fridge or microwave, then scrub and wipe using damp cloth.
#4 - Citrus scrub
Soft Scrub for Bath, Tile, and Toilet
This is enough for two to four applications. This soft scrub is excellent for getting rid of soap scum, removing stains, and brightening your tile and toilet. To use, just apply and let it sit for 5–10 minutes and then scrub. Once done scrubbing, take a wet cloth and wipe clean.
- In bowl, combine baking soda and castile soap.
- Add water and stir.
- Add vinegar and essential oil. The consistency should be a soft paste.
- Store in airtight container.
- Add ingredients directly to partially drained bowl. As it reacts, scrub toilet.
#5 - DIY Citrus Glass Cleaner
Make your own natural citrus glass cleansing spray at home. It is affordable, easy, eco-friendly, and most importantly tox-free! Citrus oils are great cleaners and smell amazing too.
16-ounce spray bottle (glass is always better, especially if you are storing things for a while)
1 ½ cup white vinegar
½ cup distilled water
8 drops citrus oil of choice
- Add vinegar, water, and essential oil(s) to spray bottle and shake.
- Clean surfaces
#6 - Yoga Mat Spray
- Combine all ingredients in glass spray bottle
- Shake until combined
- To use, spray on mat and wipe dry with towel
#7 - Natural Air Freshener
Commercial air fresheners can bring many unnatural aromas into your home. There are, however, completely safe and natural alternatives to help keep your home refreshed. Make your own air freshener that has only two ingredients—baking soda and essential oils!
¼ cup baking soda
5–6 drops favourite essential oil
- Put ¼ cup baking soda into a small Mason jar. Add 5–6 drops of your favourite doTERRA essential oil or blend.
Recommended Essential Oils: doTERRA Balance®, Cassia, Geranium, Eucalyptus, Lavender, Lemon, doTERRA On Guard®, Purify, or Wild Orange.
- Put a piece of fabric on the jar and seal jar with a rubber band.
- To keep an area smelling fresh, the place jar on a solid surface and shake often to activate the fresh scent.
- If scent starts to fade, simply add 2–3 drops of essential oil to the jar.
Would you like more info?